Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Exclusive: Nimrat Kaur remembers co-star Irrfan Khan

- Raghuvendra Singh

Irrfan Khan has touched many lives in his career. Any actor who has worked with him, has only spoken with awe and reverence for the actor. Mourning the loss that the industry and the world has faced with the untimely demise of a thespian and a brilliant actor, The Lunchbox co-star, Nimrat Kaur remembers the mighty man in this chat with Filmfare. 
Can you recall your first meeting with Irrfan Khan?
Actually the first time I met him was on the set of The Lunchbox. We were shooting for two different scenes and we met at the VT station, where he was shooting his office sequence and I was there to shoot something else. I met him very briefly and I was very intimidated by his presence at that time because I had never met him before. The reality of being in a film opposite him and working with him actually because I didn't have any scenes with him in the film. That actually sank in on that day for the first time. He was very wonderful. He came and said hello to me and I remember he was just in a rush and he used to walk very fast. He was in-between things at that time. And I actually got to spend time with him truly when we went to Cannes Film Festival (2013). That's actually when we spent time and I remember when the film had premiered at the Cannes Film Festival and everything was so overwhelming, it was looking like beginning of something very big, I got a bit overwhelmed and I asked him, How do you handle so much adulation? I don't know how to handle what's coming right now. He laughed I remember and said, just enjoy the good times and makes the most of them because the bad times are what are always around, struggles are always around and life is all about struggle and these are the gifts we get. So make sure that you make most of these gifts of life. I'll always remember that. He told me to never be shy of celebrating. 
What did you learn from him - as a human being, as an actor? 
To be honest, one thing that I saw and I'll never forget that he was a man deeply connected to his roots. He never forgot where he came from and he came from a middle class family, he never pretended to be anyone else, he was a very keen observer of life and had a sparkling sense of humour. Everyone is aware of his sharp sense of humour. And I'll never forget just his presence and how comfortable he made everyone around. That is something that I learned from him and I always wanted to keep close to my heart and mind that it's easy to be a star but it's difficult to be a good human being and star. 
Were you in touch with him after his health issue happened?
No, I wasn't. I sent him a few emails. I used to get to know about him from Ritesh Batra, who was in touch with his family. Ritesh and I were talking on the phone just last night because he had got to know that he wasn't doing too well. Ritesh is in New York at the moment. How would you like to remember Irrfan Saab?
There are very few actors who become a personal loss for everyone. The loss of our Irrfan Khan and the impact that has... my mom called me in this morning and her voice was heavy because he has passed away and she knew. That impact and that effect every personality or actor or star or anyone has, you know, when it becomes personal that this person is not around anymore. That is the effect and that is the legacy Irrfan Khan has left for us that he is personal gain and a personal loss now and that is true for anyone who watched his films, who interviewed him, who had a cup of tea with him. https://www.filmfare.com/news/bollywood/exclusive-nimrat-kaur-remembers-co-star-irrfan-khan-40517-1.html

No comments: