Thursday, April 30, 2020

“Rishi Kapoor was a zindadil person” - Umesh Shukla

-Raghuvendra Singh

It’s surely a tough time in Bollywood as the industry has lost its two precious gems, Rishi Kapoor and Irrfan Khan, within a span of 48 hours. Veteran actor Rishi Kapoor passed away earlier today, leaving several Bollywood insiders shocked.

We spoke exclusively with Umesh Shukla, who has directed Rishi Kapoor in 102 Not Out and All Is Well. Speaking about his experience of working with the actor, he said, “People used to say that vo bahut gusse wale hain (he has a short-temper) how you are tackling but I never experienced even a single such moment. He was a lovely person to work with. Till the end he was enjoying this inning of his life. We shot All is Well in Shimla and everyday after the shoot, we used to sit together and he used to say that now I'm getting some good work to do. Earlier I used to dance and sing around the trees in same Shimla. He always used to enjoy his work. He was so inquisitive on the set that yeh Aisa kyun Kar rahe ho (why are we doing this way). He was a spontaneous actor.” 

Umesh Shukla and Rishi Kapoor even went to the Golden temple together once and he shared a great bond with the actor. Talking about Rishi further, he said,  “He was a zindadil person. He was an outstanding person. He used to live in present. He used to make everyone laugh on the sets. When he was in costume and in front of camera, he was in character but as soon as makeup was gone, he was back to himself. He never carried his characters off the set. If you don't call him for fifteen days, he will call himself and ask, kya yaar, phone Nahin aaya tera (why didn’t you call me!). He was a very emotional person. He used to call at home. Vo khane aur peene dono ke bahut shaukeen the (He was passionate about food and drink). He was always curious that what's new happening, he used to discuss that. Food and drink was his bahana to sit and talk. He was aware of everything.”

The filmmaker had brought Amitabh Bachchan and Rishi Kapoor together in 2018 with 102 Not Out after almost 27 years and he was planning to do something similar again, “Before the lockdown I had called him and said that I'm coming to meet you. So he said that quarantine khatam hone do then milte hain. I had narrated that idea to Bachchan saab also. Now I don't know. Kuch samajh mein nahin aa Raha hai (right now I’m too numb and can’t understand what to do).” 

Umesh added, “Unhone Kabhi umar ka bhed nahin rakha tha (he didn’t made you feel like a younger person). He always used to guide me. I don't have words to describe him. If he had anything in his heart, he never hesitated from expressing it. Be it anywhere and in front of anyone. He was so blunt. Our relations was not of that director and actor. He made me so comfortable that I was also able to express myself. I will miss him a lot.”

No comments: